Have you ever caught yourself wishing for that mythical thing that will help you “shed #20 as if by magic”?
Swear to god, every time I read that headline I still open the article.
But every time it is about someone giving up their 8 pack of soda pop habit, or giving up fast food, or eliminating their morning donut from their lives.
And I’ve never been a soda drinker (wine is adifferent story…), I’ve never really eaten fast food (they didn’t have it where I grew up so I never got in the habit), and donuts just aren’t my jam, maybe one a year, but not the secret to losing #20.
Anyway, I digress…my newest obsession, Ginger Juice.
Yep, fresh squeezed, organic, in a bottle. The brand is Ginger People.
I’m in love. Head over heels. Developing a healthy obsession.
Do you know, gingerol, the bioactive compound in the ginger root (the part we eat or juice) has a number of healthy benefits? I looked them up just to share with you.
- Reduces nausea or morning sickness (listen for those of you in the first trimester…you gotta try this!)
- Muscle pain or soreness.
- Anti-inflammatory…that means arthritis for you non-medical people. Eases the pain of creaky joints. Whoop-whoop!
- Lowers fasting blood sugars. Listen up all you diabetics, and anyone who is health conscious and working to lower blood sugars to increase fat burning.
- Helps with chronic indigestion. Gas, bloating, heartburn, you know what I mean.
- Decreases menstrual pain.
- Has anti-cancer properties.
- May improve brain function and protect against Alzheimer’s
- Fights infections.
Holy cow, and it tastes great!
Some of the ways I use it daily include;
- Adding a big splash to my glass of water. Often I also add lemon. Tastes delicious, and helps me get the recommended daily water* dose down easily.
- Making ice cubes with a splash of ginger in the water and adding to my favorite cold drink (sun tea, ice tea, seltzer water.)
- Using in a marinade for seafood, chicken or pork.
Now notice I didn’t mention any magical weight loss properties. But here’s the craziest thing, as soon as I started including ginger into my daily diet, my cholesterol readings improved significantly, and my guts started processing foods like a champ (see #5 above), and without doing much else, besides practicing mindful eating, I dropped #10 in 8 weeks.
- Recommended daily water intake = take your weight, divide by 2. That’s the number of ounces of water to consume per day. Example: 150# divided by 2 = 75, so a 150# person should consume 75 ounces of water a day.
- 16 oz glass of water, add 1/2-1 tsp ginger juice (or to taste). Optional, add lemon or lime juice for a refreshing drink. Mint is also good.
- To a cup of hot tea, add 1/2 tsp fresh ginger juice.
- Add 2-4 tsp. of ginger to 1.5 cups of water, add to ice cube try to make ginger ice cubes. Use in sparkling water, sun-tea, plain water, etc.
- Add to your favorite marinade recipe for chicken, pork or prawns
Be creative, and then hit reply and tell me how you use ginger juice!